Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Mike Austin <mga+educause () UVM EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:44:18 -0400

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Geoff Nathan wrote:

On a slightly parallel note, does anyone know of a self-service password
tester--something that would let people test their passwords and let
them know whether it is acceptable (with all appropriate safeguards in
place, of course--it could even be anonymous).

We use a simple web script we wrote that uses the Perl Crypt::Cracklib
module.  Just a few lines of code to check password strength.

mga.
--
Mike Austin                             The University of Vermont
UNIX Systems Programmer