Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: the importance of security

From: "Weeks, Calvin W." <cweeks () OU EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:17:09 -0500

Scott,
I had the same issues at my University and I found that when left with
the option of not getting anything that you have worked so hard to
implement, get as many of the senior level administrators together that
will sit at the table with you to review what you are proposing and let
them suggest alternatives while in the presence of their piers. Make
your business case to justify the need and let them figure out how to
best accomplish this for the entire University. Try to stay away from
the issue that this is someone else's problem (i.e., student, faculty,
staff). Security is a global issue and the responsibility is on everyone
to do their part.
For our University this lead into a group of leaders that took global
security issues seriously and helped deal with the technical problems
that does come up. This group is still active on our campus and
sometimes security problems are best dealt with at the local level and
sometimes it is better to addressed on a global level. You may have
similar results from a group like this on your campus.
I will be glad to talk to you directly to let you know how I got the
group started.

Later,

Calvin Weeks, EnCE, CISSP, CISM
Director, OU Cyber Forensics Lab