Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Win2003 Server, IPSEC & HackerDefender

From: "Berbeco, Robert W" <rberbeco () IUPUI EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:54:45 -0500

Hackerdefender can be removed remotely. Hiding itself from remote viewing
tends to be its weakness and it runs as a service.

I have successfully removed it from multiple systems and have also used GPOs
to disable Hackdefender. However, I agree that ultimately the system(s)
should be rebuilt as others have mentioned.

Bob Berbeco, M.S., MCSE, GSEC
Manager of Network Services and Security
IU Department of Medicine
575 West Drive, XE 010F
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-5205
(317) 278-1098