Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Win2003 Server, IPSEC & HackerDefender

From: Steve Schuster <sjs74 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:34:17 -0400

I would also suggest changing any and all passwords associated with users
of the particular system.

sjs

At 12:26 PM 8/10/2004, you wrote:
Hacker Defender is not (what I would call) a Trojan, it is a rootkit.
You/they should wipe the hard disk and reinstall Windows. Any other
advise is foolish.

Brian

Michael G Carr wrote:

I have a SysAdmin (within a University Dept but outside of central I/T)
who is in dire of need of an "expert" (i.e. someone who wouldn't mind
speaking with her, determining her predicament and giving her sound,
proven direction on what to do)  on

    * Configuring IPSec on a "new" Win2003 Server and/or

    * Completely removing (what appears to be) the Hacker Defender
      virus/trojan on a Win2000 server.

Thank you,

Mike Carr
Information Security Officer
Univ of Nebraska
_mcarr@nebraska.edu_ <mailto:mcarr () nebraska edu> **********
Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Discussion
Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."