Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: questions re Microsoft updates?

From: Melissa Guenther <mguenther () COX NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:17:07 -0700

 I've always believed in a time of change, you can never over communicate.
If an incident occurs, I hear about it on  radio and television, read about
it in the paper and other media channels.  A more proactive approach by
using multiple communication channels is a prudent step in prevention and
protection.

I think a more aggressive communication plan should be considered to
communicate the patches availability. Some individuals  will read email and
usually update immediately - the ones I am concerned about, and affect all,
are the ones that are (1) too busy  (2) have too many emails in their inbox
and or (3) are insensitive to the importance of updating. (there are
probably more categories)

I am familiar with the following 7 step process - don't know if all steps
should be considered. I do, however, think steps 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 are.

4Step 1: Discovery
4Step 2: Identify Target Audiences
4Step 3: Setting Goals
4Step 4: Identify Types of Information Needed by Target Audiences (some
audiences need just the "facts", others want more of a technical spin)
4Step 5: Identify Communication Vehicles ( get creative)
4Step 6: Create a Matrix
4Step 7: Specify the Evaluation Method