Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: malware in images

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () UFL EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:34:39 -0400

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Brian Eckman wrote:

Kathy Bergsma wrote:
64.46.100.96
65.254.51.42
66.98.190.22
67.15.42.34
67.18.79.20
69.50.170.214
69.93.54.158
81.211.105.24
195.208.235.66
207.150.192.12
213.159.117.131

Am I mistaken, or is that just a list of IP addresses that have at least
one Web site on them that is exploiting the unpatched IE flaw outlined
at http://62.131.86.111/analysis.htm ?

You're not mistaken, that's correct.

What Doug is reporting is that a bunch of legitimate Web sites were
hacked and had a specific piece of malware installed on them that
pointed users to a specific URL. This means users visiting "legitimate"
sites are being exploited, which is significant news. The other IP
addresses have Web sites on them that are not what I would call
"legitimate", and are typically getting people to visit them via Spam.

Absolutely.  That list was just an fyi about the issue in general, not
about those legitimate sites that have been compromised, thanks for the
clarification.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer