Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: malware in images

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () UMN EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:12:04 -0500

Kathy Bergsma wrote:
In addition to 217.107.218.147, we detected similar exploits from the following
addresses.

64.46.100.96
65.254.51.42
66.98.190.22
67.15.42.34
67.18.79.20
69.50.170.214
69.93.54.158
81.211.105.24
195.208.235.66
207.150.192.12
213.159.117.131

=============
Kathy Bergsma
UF Information Security Manager
352-392-2061

Am I mistaken, or is that just a list of IP addresses that have at least
one Web site on them that is exploiting the unpatched IE flaw outlined
at http://62.131.86.111/analysis.htm ?

What Doug is reporting is that a bunch of legitimate Web sites were
hacked and had a specific piece of malware installed on them that
pointed users to a specific URL. This means users visiting "legitimate"
sites are being exploited, which is significant news. The other IP
addresses have Web sites on them that are not what I would call
"legitimate", and are typically getting people to visit them via Spam.

FWIW, See
http://securityfocus.com/archive/1/365693/2004-06-09/2004-06-15/0 for
details on how to make IE not vulnerable to this or just about any other
currently working unpatched exploit.

Thanks,
Brian