Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

malware in images

From: Doug Pearson <dodpears () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:32:51 -0500

There's *early* report of lots of sites infected with images that contain malware. The Javascript appended to the
images reaches back to "http: // 217.107.218.147/ dot.php" to get the next dose of malware. The embedded spaces in the
URL are mine to prevent accidental launches.

I'm running a current Symantec AV on my desktop. SAV catches what's at the URL as:
  Scan type:  Realtime Protection Scan
  Event:  Virus Found!
  Virus name: Download.Ject
  File:  [obfuscated by Doug P]new[1].htm
  [and so forth...]

Sites may wish to apply local network filters to block 217.107.218.147!

Regards,

Doug Pearson
Research and Education Networking ISAC
http://www.ren-isac.net