Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Appropriate University/Internet blocks

From: John Center <john.center () VILLANOVA EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:44:00 -0400

Hi Tom,

We did something similar here at Villanova as Ariel did at Temple.  We
created a Network Security Policy as the first step.  With the policy,
we did the long march through the various campus IT committees to get
buy-in on the need for an Internet firewall.  Our approach was the same
as Temple's - Deny all inbound except...  We block some outbound
traffic, but largely keep it open.  We tried to anticipate faculty
reaction in constructing the policy & we were successful in getting it
approved with minor changes.

We contacted the various IT coordinators on campus to put together a
list of servers and services that had to have access through the
firewall.  We also monitored the Internet traffic for hosts/ports that
we might have missed.  (It helped that we were testing traffic shapers
earlier.)  When we cutover, we had very few calls.  For awhile however,
every problem people experienced on the network was caused by the
firewall.  Over time, the finger pointing died out.

Now, people know to call the help desk if they need a change to the
firewall.  Most requests are for temporary changes.  We process requests
quickly, questioning the appropriateness of some requests.  Our deny all
stance makes managing the firewall relatively straightforward.

HTH

       -John

John Center
Villanova University

Ariel Silverstone wrote:
Tom,

At Temple, we approached it very gingerly.  Generally, the following are the
steps we took:

1) thought hard about what it is we are really trying to do
2) created an application that enabled us to perform step 4 below
3) created a "security council" combined of representatives from every
school and administrative department and solicited their input
4) asked the members to use the application to register every server,
guaranteeing that no server which is registered be effected by a new
firewall or firewall rule
5) created the new rule set
6) informed the community that as of a specific date, our rule set - which
is now set to "Deny All except" rather then "permit all except" will be
active
7) prepared the help desk for influx of calls
8) turned on the rule set
9) watched as less then 30 calls (out of 55,000 users) came in about this
issue.

Thank you,

Ariel Silverstone, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer