Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Log / Security Event Management

From: "Barros, Jacob" <jkbarros () GRACE EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:12:33 -0500

My supervisor is asking for a log management solution.  I've found a
number of different options online but am not sure which way to turn.
Most solutions I've researched will handle all devices I would be
interested in managing. To be specific, Microsoft servers (and possibly
clients), Cisco Catalyst (IOS) switches, and Cisco PIX firewall...
Pretty simple.

Does anyone have experience with this type of solution and can tell me
what I should avoid?  Any recommendations?  Cost will be a factor in our
decision but I don't know what kind of budget we're looking at yet.

Thanks.

Jake Barros
Network Security Administrator
Grace College