Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Appropriate University/Internet blocks

From: Tom Conley <conleyt () OHIO EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:20:37 -0400

This is a hackneyed old question, but one we are still struggling with:

What is the appropriate level of filtering or port blocking at A
University/Internet border?

Specifically, what ports or packets are y'all (other universities)
currently blocking?  Do you have router configurations that you can share?
Do you use an IP blacklist?  Are the "blacklist" and "ports list" permanent
or do the blocks "time out" automatically?  How do you manage all this?

It seems [obvious] that the recommendations made for other industries are
not generally accepted at universities.  But what is acceptable?

Any feedback is appreciated.  Feel free to contact me off-list if you
prefer.

Thanks.

Tom

Tom Conley, CISSP