Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Acceptable Use

From: Brian Kaye <bdk () UNB CA>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:00:24 -0400

We too have frequent visitors to campus both for conferences and to
individual departments. We require that the MAC addresses of all PC's on
campus be registered(yes we know they can be spoofed). At the time of
registration each user is shown the acceptable use policy and then we
email them another copy a short time later. So they get two chances to
read or ignore it.

The same is true for conferences. The conference organizer goes to special
web page to set up the conference where special "keys" are generated  for
the conference participants which will allow network access for the
duration of the conference. The attendee gets one of these keys and is
presented with the AUP when they register their machine. This registration
allows them to work anywhere on campus or in a residence hall if they
happen to stay on campus. When the confernce is over their access to the
network no longer works.

Our longer term plan is to move to an authenticated VLAN arrangement where
all users are required to log on to the network. Right now its the
computers that are authenticated. The biggest problem with the user login
is forcing users to "log out".

.......Brian Kaye
.......University of New Brunswick