Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

DOS/Broadcast Storm analysis

From: "West, David F." <dfwest () ST-AUG EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:05:55 -0500

We appear to be having a DOS, Broadcast Storm or equivalent activity happening at a time frame every day for about 45
minutes. Same time every day but we have no resources to analysis the traffic. Our college is relatively small with
only about 300 staff and 1500 students. Is there a low cost solution for monitoring and diagnosing a switched IP
environment? All buildings are home runned via fiber to our main network center. Suggestion for solutions are greatly
appreciated since we have a very limited staff to support the network here.

Thank you,
David West
Senior Network Engineer
Saint Augustine's College