Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:56:25 -0500

Seruya, Stewart wrote:

I’m trying to get a sense on how many have a university-wide Password
policy.  Second, do any have a password aging rule?

Where we can enforce a password policy, we attempt to do so. Our mail
and web systems insist on length between 6 and 8 characters and not a
dictionary word. They expire quarterly. Other systems are more lax, to
varying degrees.

As we converge on "coordinated passwords" (sort of like single sign-on,
but achieved through synchronization rather than true SSO), the risk of
losing one's password becomes greater the more it's shared among
systems, so this is a timely discussion for us.

--
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com