Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you handle the P2P problem?

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:27:26 -0500

Hear, hear, Dan!

Just by way of chatting:

After the session on copyright at EDUCAUSE, two representatives from the
RIAA *enthusiastically* inquired about that old saw "monitoring our network
for their content."  Here was their latest point:  so long as campuses are
embarking on IPTV operations -- bringing cable content to residence halls
on data networks -- and "monitor" the content in terms of "not providing
pornography" then why don't we start monitoring our networks for such
violative material as child pornography and their copyrights?

I failed to see the one-to-one relationship between the two -- cable
content and proactive monitoring for content -- (not to mention the
problems imbedded in a line of reasoning that collapses child pornography
and copyright infringement), but perhaps folks on this list would like to
discuss it.

We then moved the conversation to a recognition of the difference in the
missions of our respective corporations, and I believe for the first time
we came to a genuine understanding: we agreed to disagree but at least saw
where each other was coming from on that point.  They want to protect their
investments and we want to protect the integrity of the academic
enterprise.  I was also impressed to note that Mr. Sherman did not press
the point about monitoring campus networks for content at the general
session the next day, and even said something to the effect of "respecting
campus culture and traditions."

Lord help us, maybe we -- content holders and higher education -- are
getting somewhere?

Tracy