Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Automated Patching and Updates?

From: Brian Reilly <reillyb () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:16:20 -0400

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Sadler, Connie wrote:

[...]

1)  What you are already doing now - in terms of pushing or automating
patching or updates?

We've updated our standard Windows desktop images to automatically
download and install critical Windows Updates.  For desktops that central
IT doesn't manage, we've made a strong recommendation that those users and
admins configure their systems to do the same.  We previously had most
desktops configured to automatically download critical updates (but not
install them without user action); Blaster and Welchia were factors in
changing this behavior.

Our Windows system admins are using some combination of HFNetChck, Windows
Update, and automatic updates.

2)  What you are evaluating or looking at for doing this kind of thing -
and in what areas of your environment?

We're building an SUS server which all managed Windows systems will be
configured to use (and non-managed Workstations can opt to use as well),
as we migrate our Windows desktops from Novell to our Active Directory
domain.

--Brian