Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus VPN Services

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () DRACO ACS UCI EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:16:17 -0700

We're looking at brand C also, largely following Mike's lead at UCI.  So
far things are working out fairly well (although we've had a few issues
installing the client on ancient windows laptops).  One annoying thing is
that the brand C VPN concentrator doesn't use the same OS as brand C's
other products (like their routers for example).  The CLI on the
concentrator is a bit clunky, too, and the documentation is way below
brand C's usually high standards.

The concentrator GUI is much easier to use, and works with browsers other
than IE (I use Mozilla on a Linux system).  I agree, the documentation
could use some work.

I know that brand C makes VPN modules for their routers, which can be
configured to provide services for the same clients as the concentrator.
Has anyone had experiences with this?  According to our brand C rep, the
performance specs on the router modules is actually higher than that of
the concentrator, but I don't think we'll have many more than a couple
hundred sessions at a time.  Since we have the concentrator working, we
might just stick with that, but it would be nice to be able to configure a
VPN using a more standard brand C OS.

I've setup one point-to-point VPN tunnel on a 830 series router.  The
concentrator GUI is much easier to use.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () draco acs uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069