Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Campus VPN Services

From: Angel L Cruz <cruz () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:14:23 -0500

Colleagues:

We are looking at VPN deployment strategies.

Our NetBIOS border blocks have caused service issues - some expected,
some not -- e.g. Microsoft Exchange has OWA, but it is not accessible
(ADA).

Clearly, we need to offer secure access for off-campus users, and we
want to improve our ability to protect internal resources from external
threats.

We have a Cisco blade but are concerned that with such a large number of
users on a single campus, this solution may not scale.

We are also concerned about the potential challenge of supporting VPN
client users via our help desk.

Can I get a sense of what others are running for their VPN solution
(product) and how it scales?

What kind of architectural challenges did you face? What type of changes
did you have to consider?

Are you using client and clientless VPN?

Have you used the MS VPN? How well does it work?

Are you running VPNs alone or in combination with border firewalls?

Have you engaged specific vendors, integrators, or consultant?

What are the major support issues or technical support overhead?

Is anyone doing a VPN presentation at EDUCAUSE Anaheim?

If you prefer, please send me your comments and counsel directly.

Thanks.

Mr. Angel L. Cruz, BS

Director & University ISO

ITS - Information Security Office

The University of Texas at Austin

1 University Station, #G0900

Austin, Texas 78712-0557

(512) 475-9462

cruz () austin utexas edu

system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately if
you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that
disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on
the contents of this information is prohibited.