Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus VPN Services

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () DRACO ACS UCI EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:34:56 -0700

Since you had this setup in place, did you escape the recent rpc (or Nachi)
stuff?

Not really.  It looks like someone using an infected computer got on to
our dialin modems and spread it from there.  The MSBLAST infection was
almost under control when Welchia broke out in the dorms, and we've
been fighting that for the last 4-5 days.

I'm sure our existing NetBIOS port block saved us some pain, but
it was inevitable that someone would bring an infected system on campus
and plug it into the jack in an office.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () draco acs uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069