Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guideline for Restricting Software

From: "Edwards, Francis" <FEdwards () MC CC MD US>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:20:16 -0400

Let me clarify my query.  Like many other institutions, we have an
Acceptable Use Policy already in place that handles the high-level
requirements / restrictions, and quite intentionally in generic,
non-specific terms.  For example, users will
- "neither endanger the security of any College computer or network
facility nor willfully interfere with others' authorized computer use."
- "connect to College networks only with equipment/computers meeting
College technical and security standards."

What we're working on now is a lower-level guideline / standard or
whatever you care to call such a document.  Its purpose is to identify
specific categories (and occasionally specific products) that are
restricted, possibly prohibited, and would require authorization to
install / use.   For example, products used in teaching information
security courses are a deadly if not properly contained.  In the
academic environment, we can not say decree that people can use only
what IT provides them.

Francis