Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: computer use policy

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:39:38 -0500

The aspect of policy that Randy points out must not be minimized.  Keep
the policy statements very simple, and use
standards/procedures/guidelines (probably that ordering is commensurate
with the amount of approval or buy-in that would be required for each
style) to support them.  Standards are imposed and there is no real
leeway; a guideline is essentially a suggestion as to best practice.
Auditors will say they can audit against policies and standards, and
procedures in some case, but not very well against guidelines, so that
may have an effect on what you call things.

M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP
Chief IT Security and Policy Officer