Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guideline for Restricting Software

From: Scott Bradner <sob () HARVARD EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 07:59:33 -0400

What we're working on now is a lower-level guideline / standard or
whatever you care to call such a document.  Its purpose is to identify
specific categories (and occasionally specific products) that are
restricted, possibly prohibited, and would require authorization to
install / use.

it would seem to me that approaching this issue with teh idea of talking
about specific programs is teh wrong approach - it will not scale and will
be hard to keep up to date

for admin users I would suggest just saying that all software added
to a machine must be OKed by a supervisor (this will not work for
researchers & students)

Scott