Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Laptops

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:11:02 -0400

James Wilcox wrote:

Is the stock Mac FW very good? I have heard only bad about the stock
Windows one but have never had the guts to try it.

The XP firewall blocks incoming communications without any
problems as far as I've seen. However, I haven't tried
to get it to work with instant messaging, Kazaa, streaming
media, and the like. :)

It doesn't have the functionality of other "personal firewall"
products that attempt to control network access to code running
on the machine.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services