Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Moves Against College-Network Fileswapping

From: Ced Bennett <Ced.Bennett () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 17:07:09 -0800

Trying to outguess lawyers and juries is always an interesting activity.
Out West, in litigious California, we think the game is already over when
they decide to sue.  Win or lose, there is cost in energy, focus, dollars
and reputation - which for us can affect donations, research awards,
competition for faculty, and (maybe) student enrollment.  We work hard to
prevent that - including both policy generation and enforcement.  But it
certainly does take considerable dialog on the campus to decide on direction
- and then maintain it.

Ced Bennett