Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: data classification

From: Ted Frohling <tsf () MS TELCOM ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:59:48 -0700

Thanks Brian,  I'll have a look at your policies.

ted

Brian Reilly wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2003, Ted Frohling wrote:

[...]

What are other campuses doing in the area of data classification in light
of the educational function being a public institution, etc.

Ted,

We address this in our Information Security Policy
(http://www.georgetown.edu/policy/technology/security.htm).  Information
is classified into one of three categories:  Confidential,
Internal-Use-Only, and Unrestricted.  Data stewards (e.g. University
Registrar, University Librarians, etc.) have the primary responsibility of
classifying their information and assigning authorizations.

--Brian

--
    Ted Frohling (TF30-ARIN)                   The University of Arizona
    520.621.4834     Security Incident Response Team       CCIT Room 126