Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: data classification

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:12:07 -0500

IU's data access and classification policy is at
http://datamgmt.iu.edu/.

Essentially, we have the same three classifications:  restricted (by
legal or ethical reasons, accessible by only employees whose job
requires access), University internal (accessible by any employee), and
public.  Similar to Georgetown, a Committee of Data Stewards is
operationally responsible for this policy and enforcement.  We have a
higher level committee as well, Committee on Institutional Data, which
discusses overall institutional philosophies related to data.  The key
is that functional offices are responsible for data policy, and the IT
people work with them to decide (and at times strongly suggest :)
necessary protections.

M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP

Chief IT Security and Policy Officer
Interim Director, Research and Educational Networking Information
Sharing and Analysis Center (ren-isac () iu edu)

Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326

Incidents involving IU IT resources: it-incident () iu edu
Complaints/kudos about OVPIT/UITS services: itombuds () iu edu