Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: US Lawmakers Demand That Colleges Crack Down on Illegal File Sharing

From: Ken Shaurette <Ken.Shaurette () OMNITECHCORP COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:14:55 -0600

More Information:

March 3, 2003
--------------------

Pursuing Pirates in the Workplace

The entertainment industry hasn't given up on its crusade to slay the
hydra of illegal file-swapping services. Far from it. In fact, record
and film companies have expanded their fight against digital piracy to
target the networks that people use to download music and movies.

Specifically, music and movie companies have reached out to
universities and corporations, coaxing, pleading and warning them to
step up efforts to police their own networks to stop students and
employees who might be using them for illegal file sharing.

"The real message hear is that there's no stone we won't turn in our
effort to protect our rightful property. It can't be a one-front
battle here," Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) spokesman
Richard Taylor said. "A great deal of file swapping piracy that we're
seeing taking place are taking place in those places that have larger
computer systems and larger pipes and those include universities and
corporations."

The MPAA and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) are
spreading that message to companies through a brochure sent out last
month to all Fortune 1,000 companies in the U.S.

In it, the entertainment biggies warn executives that their employees
could be incurring legal action and compromising corporate network
security by using file-sharing services.

The brochure recommends that companies appoint copyright compliance
officers and conduct routine audits of their networks to hunt for
suspicious ".mp3, .wma" and ".wav" files that may have been illegally
downloaded.

Joe Rubin, director of congressional affairs for the U.S. Chamber of
Commerce, said companies take steps to protect their networks but
should not feel an obligation to follow the specific suggestions
outlined in the brochure.

"Routine security audits and that kind of thing already happen and
companies are extremely diligent about making sure that firewalls are
secured," Rubin said. "But I don't think that necessarily entails that
there is an obligation on employers to monitor employees."

The brochure's recommendation that companies delete suspicious audio
and video files requires them to make "judgment calls" that could
expose them to legal and human resources problems, Rubin added.

An attorney for a Fortune 500 company who asked not to be identified
said that his company already polices its internal networks, but not
because it feels compelled to crack down on illegal file-sharing.

The brochure "should not be the impetus for any company to look at its
internal network. As a normal management and legal compliance matter,
we have internal policies that are given out to all employees
governing the use our networks," he said.

The attorney speculated that many companies have probably already
followed most of the advice laid out in the brochure, but questioned
whether that document would have any impact on official company
policies.

The copyright owners "clearly have an incentive to police their own
copyrights [but] it's not clear to me that companies on this
particular issue have any sort of larger social obligation" to help
the recording and motion picture industries, he said.

The MPAA/RIAA brochure is available online (in PDF format) here.

 www.mpaa.org/Anti-piracy/press/2003/2003_02_13.pdf -
http://www.mpaa.org/Anti-piracy/press/2003/2003_02_13.pdf

The RIAA is online at www.riaa.org - http://www.riaa.org .

The MPAA is online at www.mpaa.org - http://www.mpaa.org .

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry is also
participating in the anti-piracy effort. The group is online at
www.ifpi.org - http://www.ifpi.org .

-- David McGuire - david.mcguire () washingtonpost com ,
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer

Copyright 2003 The Washington Post Company

 Privacy Policy -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/interact/longterm/talk/members.htm#privacy?referrer=email
 [!--$#GIF_LINK$--]