BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: CEOs deserve jail for data breaches

From: Stefan Wahe <stefan.wahe () doit wisc edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:18:03 -0500

In reading through the thread it seems that we are quick to want to
point the finger.  As a security professional we definitely attempt to
communicate the need for implementing technical controls and
implementing procedures that will mitigate a risk to PII.  CEO's may
listen but do they understand.  Once there is more accountability then
there will be more of an interest from CEOs or middle management to
spend time understanding the threats, the impact and likelihood of those
threats and be able to weigh them against the cost of implementing
technical controls or procedures as well as implementing and enforcing
policy.

Seems like there are an awful lot of laptops wondering off (stolen/lost)
with sensitive data.  If there is a company policy stating mobile
devices should not store such PII data, are these employees being
fired?  Why aren't there controls preventing them from copying the data
to the device?

Now if the CEO is not creating and enforcing these policies, then
his/her board of directors should be considering their employment
status.  But then again,  where is the common understanding between the
CISO, Business Partners, CEO, BoD and technologists?

Stefan Wahe

Max Hozven wrote:
My 2 cents is that we should make sure that whistle-blowers are
protected
and a large portion of fines collected go to potential victims of
identity theft
(as opposed to all going down some rat-hole of a government bureaucracy.

Sending CEO's to jail for actions of someone way down the food-chain
could have
the undesired effect of not having good people want to be CEO's anymore,
and in this
economic situation, we need all the good people we can get at the top.

-Max
 Note: Opinions expressed are that of myself only.