BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Boeing laptop is recovered

From: blitz <blitz () strikenet kicks-ass net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:24:28 -0500

As a thief, this would be one of the easiest way to "gather data" without having it changed / repported by the corporation.

Not only that, but he could then return it, even claim a reward, and profit even more. The company then reports, "It's been recovered!!! Hooray", we don't have to spend a lot of money and of course it wasn't accessed, so no reporting necessary, nor the costs of alerting victims. In an appropriate time, data starts turning up, and people start getting victimized, and not being alerted on the first occurrence, they're in a quandary of how their PII got into the hands of the criminal-class.

I suspect this occurs a LOT, and contributes to difficulty of legal tracking and consumers rights being avenged in a court of law, but hey, what the hell, like Scott McNeily of Oracle said, "You have no privacy, get over it!" What he fails to mention is he and his minions are profiting handsomely from violating your privacy, massively.

Its going to take REAL privacy legislation, even better than what the EU has, and a few Corporate clones doing some hard time before they will take it seriously. As I've said for so long, there's entirely TOO MANY faceless, shadowy corporations keeping our most personal information on file and for what reasons, not disclosed to us. They should be put out of business, period, and the remaining ones should be operated under Draconian privacy measures, including full access by the citizenry to check and dispute entries with the power of the law on the citizens side!

Marc