BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Boeing laptop is recovered

From: "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy () rant-central com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:37:25 -0500

Pascal Charest wrote:
I can't remember if Symantec Ghost access the drive as read-only,
preserving
the last access time, but doing a copy that does is quite trivial to do.

Take the hard-drive out, connect it through a read-only interface and copy
everything. Such interfaces are easy to find - any law enforcement
departement will have a couple of them since they must use them to gather
data from "evidence hard drive". Contacting their provider, or even
building your own...

Or boot the box from your choice of Linux live CDs, plug in a large
external USB drive and do 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/sda1/chump_dump.img
bs=1M'.  As you say, trivial.

I guess that the "third-party computer-security consultant" wrote something
in the order of "the last-access time was not changed by the thief
activities" in the report and it was interpreted as "not accessed".

I'd bet that *all* of the "data was not accessed" reports are due to this.

As a thief, this would be one of the easiest way to "gather data" without
having it changed / repported by the corporation.

Indeed.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy () rant-central com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT