Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Immunity Certified Network Offense Professional

From: root <root_ () fibertel com ar>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 07:31:02 -0300

Thomas Ptacek wrote:
 > Specifically, to obtain the certification you will need to write a
 > buffer overflow from scratch within a certain time period. You will
 > first find the buffer overflow by reverse engineering a target program,
 > and then obtain a shell from it or execute a command. This is a hands-on
 > certification, not a paper test.
Sounds like potentially a meaningful, if narrow, test.

Some of the most effective pentesters I've met would not be able to
pass this. This is the problem with all certifications.

I think that exploit writing is a very different activity than pen testing.
And even if a pen-tester get that certification, he would be writing an
exploit for a platform 8 years old, without any modern BOF protection. I
wonder what is the point.