Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: DEF CON One Five CfP in effect!

From: dan () geer org
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:40:52 -0400

A curiousity question that I've been meaning to
ask...  This is the Nth time that DefCon has
scheduled directly over USENIX Security.  The
latter, which honestly commands my first loyalty,
publicly sets its meeting dates literally years in
advance -- I know as I was on the Board for a
decade.  DefCon, to this casual observer, seems to
prefer an element of surprise.  Of course, one can
argue that the attendees and thus the meetings don't
overlap but that is to split the hair between
choosing overlap in time (which precludes
overlapping in attendees) and choosing to overlapp
in attendees (which precludes overlapping in time).

And it is not just USENIX Security; this overlap
also encompasses the Electronic Voting Technology
Workshop, the HotSec Workshop, and the Metricon 2.0
Workshop as well.  Of course, one can argue that
with DefCon running August 4-6 and USENIX running
August 6-10 that the meetings don't strictly
overlap, but for anyone with a travel budget (or a
life) this sounds like overlap to me.

Besides, if you wanna claim that your attendees
are different than someone else's, why not overlap
with SANS instead?  Paller is not paying you to
do this, is he?

--dan