Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: We have met the enemy, and the enemy is ... you.

From: Joel Eriksson <je () bitnux com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:05:33 +0200

Hi Joe & the rest of the list,

I'm curious about that too. Exploit prevention using dynamic binary
translation techniques is extremely interesting, although I'm not
completely convinced yet. :)

Specifically I don't see how the "program shepherding" technique
would protect against overwritten function pointers, when still
pointing them into valid functions (e.g. not injected shellcode)?

I also wonder if the Determina implementation protects the code
cache memory during all times that application code is executed
or if that has been removed for optimization purposes? How large
is the slowdown by Determina now btw?

Some reading for those of you that didn't know that Determina
is based on techniques that were originally developed using the
DynamoRIO framework:

http://www.cag.lcs.mit.edu/dynamorio/
http://www.burningcutlery.com/derek/docs/phd.pdf
http://www.burningcutlery.com/derek/docs/security-usenix.pdf

A question to the Determina people (that I know are present on
this list): Is Determina still using DynamoRIO code or has everything
been implemented from scratch?

The biggest flaw with this technique is that a kernel bug would
circumvent it completely though. Of course, kernel bugs are game
over anyway, but since kernel bugs are getting pretty popular
and since Determina gives the impression of protecting against
pretty much everything it should be pointed out.

As with pretty much any other vulnerability protection technology
it also can't protect against logical bugs and other bugs that
doesn't rely on direct execution flow manipulation.

The conclusion, as expected, is that people still need to run
software (and operating systems) with an originally secure design
and implementation. :)

Very interesting research though and I hope the Determina people
here can answer my questions.

Best Regards,
   Joel Eriksson