Dailydave mailing list archives

Caffeine is bad for you, calc is worse.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:30:05 -0400

I read through a bunch of papers from the Workshop on the Economics of
Information Security this morning. (I'm cutting down on the caffeine
and substituting academia.)

http://weis2006.econinfosec.org/prog.html
<http://weis2006.econinfosec.org/prog.html>

The best:
http://weis2006.econinfosec.org/docs/38.pdf
In this paper they show how to avoid the RIAA catching you (via the
WASTE network protocol, essentially) which also applies to how bin
Laden's wee little group is set up. Assuming I read it correctly at 5am.

The worst:
http://weis2006.econinfosec.org/docs/54.pdf
"Consider the end user with type (naiveté), n. If she buys the
software, her expected net benefit, given the hacking level X, would
be: <nasty equation here> <small graph here>"
"Lemma 1. There exists a non-trivial equilibrium between end-users and
hacker, k*, n(k*) and f(n(k*)|k*)"

The funniest:
http://weis2006.econinfosec.org/docs/17.pdf
Herein, iDefense mentions Immunity and Gleg and Argeniss! We're famous!

Here's my submission to the Workshop on the Economics of Information
Security : (:>)

Abstract.

Some ideas clearly not based in fact.

Introduction

Some problem statements, vaguely formed.

Prior Literature

Lots of references, most of which have nothing to do with the topic,
but which have similar titles.

Basic Setting

A formulated problem with nothing to do with reality. As weird as
zero-friction surfaces, except also as vague as a religious text.

Section where I make up some terminology

Made up terminology I hope will catch on. Also some equations where I
take the sum of apples and differentiate that to the base of oranges
and then maximize that with respect to pears.

Section with some words where I also have a graph.

A graph or two (small) and then a table with some numbers (also small).

Conclusion

Attempt to avoid any notice that behavior predicted has no basis in
reality.