Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sourcefire Acquired by Check Point Software

From: "Kyle Quest" <Kyle.Quest () networkengines com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 19:24:19 -0400

It's part of it anyway.
There's a potential gain from GPL license through external contributions
to the engine would have been a real benefit that could have balance the
competition argument. But, if there's no real contribution, there's no
benefit for Tenable having Nessus GPLed. There's a full bunch of project
GPLed running without benefit.
But now, if GPL license arms their business (competition argument), they
only get loss out of it. As sad as it can be for users, this is imho a
good reason for them to leave GPL.

Totally agree. That's kinda what I was talking about in one of the previous
emails. The Nessus statement can be paraphrased into this:
We don't get any benefit from open source (aka nobody contributes),
but we feel the pains of open sources (aka other companies using code).
I totally understand them. It's just silly to blame GPL for it...