Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Nmap/Nessus copyright

From: ADT <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:58:34 -0700

Basically what I'm hearing is that you consider the first few
paragraphs in the COPYING file to be considered part of the license,
and having higher precedence over the included GPLv2 text below it.  I
think we agree that Nmap is *not* licensed under the GPLv2, but
basically a customized version of it.

My suggestion is that if you don't believe the GPLv2 as written by the
FSF provides the protections, rights, restrictions or clarity that you
desire for your code, then don't use it.  Just rename the license to
the "Nmap Public License", and stop saying at the very top that:

"This program is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the
terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
Software Foundation; Version 2."

Because that sentence is clearly not your intent, and while you try to
"clarify" your intent in the text below, it gets very confusing for
people like me who take such statements literally.

Frankly, I really wish the FSF did not give you permission to do what
you did, because it creates a lot of confusion what the GPLv2 means
and I can't possibly know what the "intent" of every author releasing
his code under the GPL.   As an author of GPL and BSD licensed
software, it's important to me that  licenses are interpreted
consistently so that my users don't have to have long email
discussions to figure out what my intent is.

And while  granting permission to OpenSSL doesn't create any problems
(frankly, I'd be ok with you still calling it the GPL if this was the
only addendum), the added restrictions of what constitutes a
derivative work appears to make Nmap incompatible with other GPL code.
 Basically, I can't use Nmap code in my own GPL'd applications because
now a non-GPL application can't process the output of my application;
something that I personally think is ok.  Again, I'm ok with you
saying I can't do that, I just wish we didn't have to exchange all
these emails for me to figure it out. :)

Regards,
Aaron