Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Nmap/Nessus copyright

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:41:12 -0700

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:43:00PM +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, ADT wrote:

That's nonsense. The GPL does not restrict the *USAGE* of software. Fyodor's
claim that any program reading "proprietary" files generated by nmap is a
derivative work (regardless whehter or not I even used GPL nmap source code
for this) is also clearly nonsense.

I make no such claim.  As I have already stated in this exact thread,
"we don't claim copyright in Nmap output files.  There is
proprietary software out there that has an option for importing Nmap
data files that the user generated.  That is OK with me." [1]  So
enough with you saying this is like MS tryihng to block OO from
reading Word files.

In deference to Dave's turtle, I'll argue no further.  I just wanted
to refute your attempt to put words in my mouth.

Cheers,
Fyodor

[1] http://lists.immunitysec.com/pipermail/dailydave/2005-October/002594.html