Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: News, dumbug, prediction rebuttals.

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:18:23 -0500

Thomas and all,

(1) To paraphrase jwz, "Some people see a problem and say, 'hey, I'll
use regular expressions to solve it!'. Now they have two problems."
On Checkpoint Firewall-1 and Cisco PIX, you will have to convince me
that my SIM needs to care about 10% of the possible log messages, or
that those 10% are hard to recognize.

Well, as they say "great question" :-) There are two popular answers
to this one; some say that you are always interested in 100% of all
messages by definition, since you truly never know which one might
come handy under the right circumstances. Yes, even the silly
"%PIX-6-199003: Reducing Link MTU <dec>" might come handy one day...
In fact, the above opinion that you project indicates a somewhat dated
view on SIM as a "filtering tool."

BTW, before my vendor hat burns my head :-), I want to disclaim that I
disagree with your prediction on merits and not to sell more of the
relevant product (I would love to see how a popular future open source
SIM will stack up again the current pricy commercial offerings...)

(2) There are, last time I counted, 17,293 different templating
entry" you're talking about? Have you looked at Freshmeat lately?
Point taken! :-) But writing a "Python application server" *once* is
not the same as committing to writing and updating regexes for logs
for the rest of your life...

Anton, your product isn't dumb, boring, or particularly hard to
replicate as an 80% solution. At my last job, we concerned ourselves
with "bucketing" one out of every 100 connections made across the
backbones of every service provider in the world. We were concerned
about open-source competition. Why are you immune?

Well, I do not think that I am immune; its just that the credible
open-source competition didn't materialize and, as I stated above,
likely won't materialize. And, indeed, creating a SIM is a very
exciting thing!! However, the ongoing maintenance tasks are much more
complicated than maintaining a, say, NIDS implementation.

If there's a real need in the market for SIM products (and I'll state
that as an "if", because, while my 2006 prediction implicitly gives
SIM the benefit of the doubt, I haven't talked to a network security
guy who relies on one yet), then over the next 12 months we're going
to see a credible open-source response to it.

He-he, this is where is gets dangerous :-) And fun at the same time.
Is that a common wisdom that market need always leads to an emergence
of an open source solution?

Best,
--
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA