Dailydave mailing list archives

The difference between a monkey and a gorilla

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:14:07 -0400

As Jared Diamond (http://www.pbs.org/previews/gunsgermssteel/) says, humans are basically just a strange sub-species of chimpanzee. Likewise I wonder if security researchers are tamed and channeled hackers, or if hackers are the bizzare sub-species that consumes more resources than you'd expect, and create more art than you'd imagine. In a bit of meta-irony, Weld Pond is the one who introduced me to Jared Diamond.

In any case, I'll be at What The Hack (instead of Vegas) or XCON (http://xcon.xfocus.org/speakers.html) if you want to chat, be you monkey or gorilla. If you want a CANVAS demo I can do that too. :> My XCON talk is on some of the weirder work I've been doing lately. After Halvar's post of the government sponsored corrolation effort to find exploitation and DDOS frameworks (http://cryptome.org/traceback.htm), I've been thinking of ways to avoid such corrolation efforts. Is anyone else working on that sort of thing?

-dave