Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Exactly 500 word essay on "Why hacking is cool, so that Marcus changes his web site"

From: haroon meer <h () roon net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:05:58 +0200

Hiya..

Im not sure this email will prove to mjr that "hacking" is cool, since
im sure we fundamentally disagree on what "hacking" is.. but..

[a] i (agree with pageexec and) cant really see how this differs from
crypto research (but ill leave that fight to mjr and pageexec)

[b] i cant really understand the difference between hacking and
lock-picking..

Now.. if you google: site:ranum.com + "is cool"
you will get the "6 dumbest ideas" as hit one, and as hit two:
http://www.ranum.com/fun/bsu/safecracking/

-snip-
Lots of computer security practitioners appear to be fascinated with
locks. It makes sense, really, since locks are one of the more complex
and cool security systems humans know how to build. I know several
practitioners who pick locks fluently, and one in particular who seems
to know more about locks than most locksmiths. Picking locks is cool.
-snip-

Hmmm...

/mh

h () roon net                                           http://roon.net