Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Google Beta "WiFi" VPN

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:41:04 -0500

On Sep 20, 2005, at 12:07 PM, KF (lists) wrote:

And apparently, per default it installs the google bar as well.

Can anyone from the Bay Area actually download this software and send me a copy? I'm interested to see whether they're using some vpn solution or some
proxy-ssl solution.

Anyone should be able to download it. It was just a small single executable file with zero configuration. You Simply tell it to either Connect or Always Connect after installing it. http:// wifi.google.com/download.html

Since it does not interfere with 'already installed vpn solutions', I am guessing this is using some ssl based proxy/von solution, perhaps openvpn?

It just uses the VPN stuff (PPTP) built into Win2K and XP. Very simple. If someone spent time setting this up, it was for the little app to sit in the systray, but even that, I think MS offers a simple tool to do it. Not sure how the setup works, but it also has File and Printer Sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks added to the PPTP network settings. Not sure if this is because of how I have the primary connection configured, but that could be interesting. Looking at all the traffic spewed by each client.

This is funny:
https://vpn.google.com/

Anyway...

--
MadHat (at) Unspecific.com, CĀ²ISSP
E786 7B30 7534 DCC2 94D5  91DE E922 0B21 9DDC 3E98