Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Google Beta "WiFi" VPN

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:33:09 +0100

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 11:03 -0700, Steve Manzuik wrote:
Just playing "Devils Advocate" here.

read the privacy policy) to be aware that Google can read the data.

But is this not always the case with a service?  Your ISP can read your
data, your work IT guys can read your data.  I mean we all have placed
trust in third parties at one time or another as I highly doubt everyone
here has complete control over their data to the endpoint.  I am not
saying that its right, I am simply pointing out the obvious.

Indeed yeh, it's not that I have issue with. It's the way it's worded.
ie.. encryption mentioned twice but no mention of Google being able to
read the clear text. It is fully detailed in the privacy policy and is
obvious to anyone with a clue about networking/security, however why
have an FAQ if it just skirts the issue. Seems like misdirection to me.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3