Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Default Deny on Executables

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:50:08 -0400

Andrew R. Reiter wrote:
<snip>

While this is on a different OS, I've seen numerous installer packages modify the binary being put onto the machine to include various information (OS version, arch, install time). So, if for any reason, there are installation packages that do modify ELF files (I've never looked into this), you might have issues. But I don't see this as a common thing to *nix -- though I've not looked into it.

You don't necessarily have to sign the whole file if you can sign sections (aka the text/data/global/etc segments) of it, or include a "these segments are signed and all others should be ignored" segment, that is itself signed by RH/Dell/etc.

-dave

Cheers,
Andrew

  "Natural bridges on a clean west swell,
     Break over the reef like a bat of out hell." -- Sublime.