Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Default Deny on Executables

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:47:08 -0700

While this is on a different OS, I've seen numerous installer packages
modify the binary being put onto the machine to include various
information (OS version, arch, install time).  So, if for any reason,
there are installation packages that do modify ELF files (I've never
looked into this), you might have issues.  But I don't see this as a
common thing to *nix -- though I've not looked into it.

My Mac Developers at work tell me that OS X will rebase binaries at
install time, so that there are no address conflicts with any other
binary on disk.  This totally screws up attempts to use hashes to verify
things.  It seems that the OS X loader couldn't dynamically rebase until
10.3.  And 10.3 still does the static rebasing.

In general, a signing scheme has to take into account (or specifically,
leave out) pieces of the binary that are allowed to be modified.
Hopefully, program flow doesn't depend on any of the unsigned pieces. :)
 I assume the Mac mangling is too severe to support binary signing as-is.

                                        BB