Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Completely Offtopic

From: pedram () redhive com
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 02:14:42 -0500

In my opinion the true failure occurred before the hurricane even hit. I spent
four years in New Orleans at Tulane University. Within my first week NOLA was
indirectly hit by a hurricane that caused feet of flooding in many areas. The
damage was obviously not nearly as bad as Katrina, the pumps were turned on and
the city was operational within a week and a half. The most interesting part of
the experience was witnessing the number of people that remained in the area,
endured the storm and boated around the city afterwards. While I lacked the
transportation to escape on short notice the majority of locals stayed on the
notion of "this isn't a big deal", "it'll miss us", and "we've taken bigger
ones before". Everyone who lives in NOLA fully understands the repercussions
associated with a levy breach. However, it seems that the large number of near
misses created a false confidence over time and instilled an evacuation
laziness.

The city should have done a better job making a big/critical deal out of
Katrina. Furthermore, in such dangerous areas adequate public transportation
should exist on standby to assist in the rapid evacuation of those without the
transportation means to evacuate on their own.

On another note. I'm very interested to see if the US accepts the very generous
$100 million donation offer from Qatar:

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/03/katrina.world.aid/index.html

-pedram

Quoting Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>:

See the paper trail on all the money for flood control in Louisiana
that's been diverted over the past several years.  See Bush's
not-always-positively-received reactions to the events.

Yeah, a metric fsck-ton of water fell on the place and it makes
it hard for anyone to deal, but we've been terraforming that part
of the planet for 200 years and we seem to get that wrong sometimes.

And I think people DO train urban rescue for flooding conditions.  These
hurricane things have been happening for a while.