Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Weird question (off topic one)

From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser () seifried org>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:56:36 -0600

Well for one thing anyone calling themselves a security expert probably isn't. Everyone I've ever dealt with that is
legitimate (for lack of a better word) calls themselves a security professional. We're not "experts", we may be almost
an expert in a small area, but infosec as a whole is just to huge to be an "expert" for all of it. Personally I go on
professional reputation (i.e. someone I trust said that they are a security professional and can be trusted), and on
available code/documentation/presentations (one great reason to do conferences, you can get your name out in a specific
subject field) and so on. Unfortunately this severely cripples the reputation of all the "internal" information
security people who work in the bowels of a large firm who's work is never made public, but usually if you chat with
them for more then a few minutes you can figure out where they are in the food chain so to speak. But in the case of
someone who claims to be a Debian developer you should be able to track down their work easily, if you can't... that's
odd. A related google link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=social+capital+%2Bnascar&btnG=Search

-Kurt