Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: RE: funny comments from Hack IIS6 contest admin

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:03:02 -0400

Well, I add the descriptor widespread because its mostly believed that many professional hackers and the armed services
have plenty of unannounced hacks in their arsenal.  The military in particular probably has dozens of vulnerabilities
they know about that they keep in their computer ops quiver to use in the event they need them.  That's particular what
I mean in that many professional hackers don't make a lot of money discovering bugs.  The armed services hacker
probably discover lots of bugs, and for some low salary a year.  And there are probably dozens of bugs that the vendor
knows about in their product that haven't been widely exploited that are in the development queue to fix.  None of
those vulnerabilities do I consider 0-day exploits...they are...but they will probably never be known to us...and hence
aren't 0-day attacks in the conventional sense.