Dailydave mailing list archives

CANSECWEST May 2005 Trip Report

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 12:19:55 -0400

CANSECWEST May 2005 Trip Report

Overview

http://www.cansecwest.com/speakers.html has a general outline. I don't think the talks are up yet. There were also "Lightning talks" which were 3-5 minutes long, enforced by a gong. These were a great idea. Gera demonstrated that his canon camera was an x86 dos-running computer, which was funny.

Talks of Note
/*Alex Wheeler & Neel Mehta*/ - Anti-Virus Issues

In my opinion, this talk was "Best of Show" with the perfect outline:
o Overview of problem (virus scanners are bad)
o Fun disassembly spot the bug game
o Specific past examples (McAffee, etc)
o Trend Micro Demo (ring0 bugs are cool)
o Computer Associates 0day

/*Maximillian Dornseif*/ - 0wn3d by an iPod: Firewire/1394 Issues

It's neat to watch someone plug their ipod into a box and see it's screen change. More practically, you can pop off a screensaver with it. Or just hand out thousands of ipods to everyone to let them own themselves.

/*Cesar Cerrudo*/ - Windows Internals

LPC and shared segements and other good fun.

/*Gaƫl Delalleau*/ - Large Memory Usage

Impossible to read slides marred an otherwise great talk. Maybe my lasik (tm) is fading, but for some reason, it was like someone was holding a video camera up to the slides on his laptop. Made for some really tough reading. Apparantly Linux 2.6 took out the guard page between the stack and heap? There was some comment about PaX as well, but I didn't quite catch it.

/*Barnaby Jack*/ - Step into Ring 0

Shellcode tricks in Win32 Kernel...this is more neat when you think about the fun IP layer bugs and other stuff that has been coming out for windows recently.

/*Window Snyder*/ - XPSP2 Internals
Window's talk was more on the political internals than any technical internals of the megapatch. She did mention that "a vendor" had explained integer overflows to them, and their system was riddled with them. She also mentioned they found 2 "classes" of bugs that wern't known to the outside world.

I find it interesting that one of the Windows Security Initiative's own didn't mention that a major change was happening two days after her talk: http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+sound+early+alert+for+flaws/2100-1002_3-5697945.html
/*
Philippe Biondi*/ - Packet generation with scapy

Scapy is great - not just because it's in Python, but because it has so much power to do neat things. For example, a quick VisualRoute would be easy to build with it (plus GeoIP), and he has some neat scripts built up already which do cool things, like graph the backside of a firewall using traceroute-like techniques + more. By graph, I mean "put up pretty pictures" which was a pretty awesome thing.

Also if you've never seen Halvar or Shane+Dino's talks, those were great too. Dino even demo'd Hydrogen getting loaded via a IE Client-side attack. Marty demonstrated that the new snort will
1. Fix a bunch of problems in snort
2. allow snort to differentiate based on OS or other identifiers ("Is running IE on Windows SP2", etc)

At the very end, I demonstrated that Snort doesn't detect large amounts of CANVAS exploits, if you use a Covertness of 10. (I'm making it go to 11 in the next release. :>)

Conclusion

Probably the best information security convention I've been to recently...this conference was smaller than BlackHat, but had a very high signal to noise ratio, in both the talks and the attendies.