Dailydave mailing list archives

joe jobbing a government?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:32:00 +0200

Hi guys. You'll get a kick out of this one.

I have known joe jobs in my life, and other than the annoyance of dealing with them.. they don't really excite me anymore.

Most exciting thing these past few years was when someone took my PGP signature from an email to Full-Disclosure (yes, I still bump against kiddies over there once in a while), and spammed using it... it caused many anti-spam solutions to re-evaluate how they deal with PGP signatures (for good or bad).

And still.. yesterday, I had fun!

Someone took this simplistic technique, and joe-jobbed my work-place.

He wasn't very smart about it, it took us about 3 seconds to find 5 different indications that the received line was a fake.

But still.. being one of the most attacked sites in the world, and seeing so many attacks every day and weird activity every second, you have to admit that joe jobbing a government takes a little more finesse from the attacker.. even though it's pretty much useless and a waste of his, her or it's resources.

Out of pure interest, I wonder if one could pay spamcop, commtouch or messagelabs to see how many people attempt to joe job them? Only wondering, not really meaning to pay anyone... any suggestions on alternatives, though?

        Gadi.