Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: McAffee bought Foundstone!

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:12:20 -0700

At 07:29 AM 8/17/2004 +0000, Matt Hargett wrote:
David Maynor wrote:
Who wants in on the pool that they will go the way of cybercop?

One of the worst parts about working on those products was when I had to tell people the name of what I worked on.
"skunkworks IDS" was so much cooler :(

George Kurtz                    Gene Hodges
CEO Foundstone, Inc.            President McAfee, Inc.

Wow, Gene Hodges is still there? I wonder if Sandra England is as well..

For those of you who aren't SF Bay Area security/cypherpunk/geek
mafiosi, NAI/McAfee a/k/a "The K-Mart of Crypto" was historically
rather poor at assimilating acquisitions.  Mr. Hargett was present
during some of the internecine warfare that ensued during the .com
boom days at NAI.  Any place with THREE (not 1) CTO's with offices
on opposite corners of the building had to be weird.

Even if we assume it's a Kinder and Gentler (and better audited)
McAfee, this merger does lead to questions.  Questions like...
how could you ever trust Foundstone to give advice, now that
they're owned by a hardware/sofware vendor.  Or, if McAfee was
so hot and bothered to have a P/S arm why didn't they just start
pimping some of their spook wizards within the ex-TIS facility
in Maryland out to the commercial world, or, how does this relate
to the alleged rumors that they (McAfee) are allegedly for sale
to alleged software vendors in the northwest United States?